The 1881 Courthouse Museum explores Black Hills history from General George Armstrong Custer's 1874 expedition to today's heritage.
1881 Custer County Courthouse Museum
411 Mount Rushmore Rd.
PO Box 826
Custer, South Dakota 57730.
Phone (605) 673-2443 or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Friends of the Museum
It takes a great deal of money to keep the 1881 Courthouse Museum open and well maintained. If you would like to become a Friend of the Museum and help us
financially, please click on the link below for more information.
The 1881 Courthouse Museum is a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization.
Friends of the Museum Donation Form
The 1881 Courthouse Museum has
received several important grants in the last few months. The Oswald Family
Foundation has awarded the museum $2000 for our Youth Program. We received a
grant of $10,000 from the Mary Chilton DAR Foundation for our preservation
project and another $13,000 from the South Dakota State Historical Deadwood
Fund Grant to finish much needed structural repairs to the building. We thank
all these entities for their support.
2015 Marks Museum Anniversary
The year 2015
brings with it the observance of the 40th anniversary of the opening
of the 1881 Courthouse Museum.
Following the announcement in 1973 by Custer
County Board of Commissioners that a new courthouse would be built and the old
building retired, the Custer County Historical Society initiated a petition
throughout the county requesting that the old historical building be turned
over to the Society and be converted into a museum to preserve the history of
the Southern Black Hills.
Over the next two years, the transformation
of Custer County government took place and in the year 1975 the new building
was complete and the old courthouse was vacant.
It was that year the museum was born.
This year, when the Museum opens for the
season in May, a flag-raising ceremony will inaugurate the occasion. Thanks to
the generosity of Board of Trustees member Chuck Cochran, a replica of the 1881
United States Flag will be raised to fly over the 134 year old structure
Throughout the year, the Museum staff and
volunteers will conduct a variety of observances to mark the 40th
anniversary and renew this structure as the permanent repository of the vast
and fascinating history of Custer County, South Dakota.